Monday, January 25, 2010

My Treasure

My experiences and struggles can turn into seminary lessons.

I told the students today about my trial on Saturday. How frustrated I was, burdened, upset. I drove down to Slaughter Beach and started putting stones in my pockets.

98 stones.

And how I received an answer to my prayer. How the Holy Ghost reminded me that prayer helps strengthen me. How I am supposed to cast my burdens on the Lord, and not let them weigh down my pockets.

I didn't tell them this, but how beautiful the rocks look when wet. Tears or salt water from the ocean.

I did tell them they are my treasure. How I thought of them as I picked up the rocks, thinking of their uniqueness, beauty, their testimonies, questions, enthusiasm.

And how I didn't want to be a stumbling block to them. I didn't want to fail and fall apart and lose faith because I know they are watching me.

And I know people are watching them. Challenged them to be a stepping stone for others, a way into the Church. A pathway to Christ, through their actions and example and testimony.




Fingernail polish makes the rocks permanently shiny. Permanet marker sealed with a second layer of polish preserves the message: Stepping Stone and Stumbling Block, sometimes shortened to "step" and "stumble" on the other side of the rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment