Sunday, November 22, 2009

How Can We Increase Our Gratitude?

Yes, there is seminary Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday before Thanksgiving. 5:55 am, every school morning! Read 5 minutes a day. November 30th you should be up to ENOS. Use the holidays to catch up.

Guest blogger is Luanna Demetter, one of Sister Landbeck's younger sisters. This is from a talk she gave in Church today:

What ways have you found to increase your feelings of gratitude?

My answer to that question is “I need to use and recognize the gifts that I have been given. If I forget or do not pay attention to what I have and what others have worked to bless me with, I won’t ever understand how valuable my gifts and blessings are.”

President Eyring talks about his encouragement to take time at the end of the day to think about the Lord’s blessings. A few of his words on his own experience in taking time are these.

“I would see evidence that I would not see in the busy moments of the day.

Trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.

You might pray and ponder….”Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life?”

One gift we have... been blessed with is to hear the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. We have amazing records in the Book of Mormon that can and has benefited and enriched our lives.

Recently while reading in 2 Nephi chapter 26, I read about the Lord’s love for every person who comes to this world.

Verse 24 –

He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw all men unto him. Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not partake of his salvation.

25

Behold, doth he cry unto any, saying: Depart from me? Behold I say unto you Nay; but he saith: Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price.

33 And he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God both Jew and Gentile.

We all have something pretty incredible to be grateful for. All of us have been blessed with the love of our Savior and of our Father in Heaven.
Something else on the lds.org website I ran into was the statement

Humility allows a greater degree of gratitude.

Pride can not exist along with gratitude. (think about how this applies to the lessons we talked about last week in Jacob!)

How Can We Increase Our Gratitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment